Thursday, February 11, 2010

HAIR ACROSS AMERICA

My name's Gunnar and I'm a hairstylist living in Orlando, Florida.

I'm from Boston, Mass. originally and I never thought I would stay in Orlando this long. I've always wanted to travel, and eventually go to college in Mass. and study literature and journalism. And now I know how I'll do it.

I've recently decided that in August, when my lease is up here, I'll start traveling the country and doing hair in every town I visit.

Until recently I've worked in a nice salon in downtown Orlando. I was told often that I could do really well if I stayed there and built a clientele. I've been an assistant in 4 great salons all over Orlando, and have had my license since August of '09. I have a passion for the art of hair, and love connecting with people on a one-on-one basis to share about life and style.

As someone aspiring to be a writer and journalist, I've always wanted to meet people all over the world and learn their stories and share them with people. Especially people who might have never heard them otherwise. And I'm starting with America.

In August of this year I'll leave on a tour of as many states as I can manage to visit. I'm using this blog, craigslist.org and couchsurfing.org to make contacts in all the cities I plan on visiting, and find places to stay while I'm there. I'm really hoping to see our country from the eyes of people everywhere.

Some friends have been asking me why I don't stay in Orlando, save longer and plan better. And go on a real vacation. But that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to connect with the people of my country on a personal basis. I've only lived in 2 places for any length of time. And as an adult I've really only experienced Orlando and a few places throughout Florida. I visited Manhattan a couple years ago, but didn't get out much.

Part of my dream is to see our country from a train. Amtrak services a lot of states and has some routes through rural areas that have me barely sleeping at night. This all came about from an itch I've always had to train-hop. That itch needed to become a reality, and for me reality isn't quite that adventurous.

I plan on doing hair in every city I visit, and by living on a budget and using train and bus I hope I can support my adventure by doing hair and THIS BLOG alone! I know it sounds risky, but hopefully YOU will help me by spreading the word of this blog and my adventure, and taking advantage of the products and services advertised on my page.

I will be writing constantly from the road, and sending pictures of everything and everyone I see, and meet. And I'll be doing in-detail reports of the hair I do.

PLEASE help me follow my dream and hopefully I can inspire some people to follow their own along the way.

Gunnar

1 comment:

  1. This is ambitious!! This is gonne be epic! I would expect no less!!

    ReplyDelete